Warmup Insulation Boards (WIBs) are waterproof and insulated tile backer boards made of extruded polystyrene, faced on both sides with a fiberglass mesh embedded into a thin cement polymer mortar.
These can be used as a tile backer board underlayment on your concrete slab or sound wood subfloor.
They will withstand a load of 5,735lbs per square foot and are ideal for use with underfloor heating as they push the heat into the room, by not allowing heat to penetrate down into the concrete substrate below.
They are ideal for use in bathrooms or wet rooms.
Due to their inorganic and waterproof nature, they cannot cause mold issues and will protect your floors from water and mold damage.
Features and Benefits
- WIBs will save you money when used in conjunction with our underfloor heating by acting as a very efficient thermal barrier.
- They reflect the heat upwards into the floor tile instead of allowing heat to warm up the concrete slab below.
- Heat up Times with Floor Insulation In testing, heat-up time was cut from over 2½ hours to just 25 minutes. This data applies to Warmup heating products only.
- Installing WIBs drastically improves floor heating efficiency, with a quick heating time, with a 78% faster heating time than over concrete slab alone. Heat up times over a 59F degree concrete slab were 78% faster than when applied directly over the subfloor. While a Warmup mat over WIBs reaches 80 degrees in 64 minutes, a traditional system took 5 full hours to reach 77F.
- This also means that the system ran a lot less, and proved to provide 71% savings in electrical usage.
- Depending on the cost of electricity and price of the insulation boards, pay-back time was estimated between 1.7 and 2.1 years.